Skip to main content
Edit entry 

Bray Court

Military site : non-airfield

Site of disused RAF Bray/RAF Bray Court. Home of some USAAF support units, including Engineering and Quartermaster units.

Detailed history

Bray Court was located half a mile south of the Thames-side village of Bray and on the north side of the Maidenhead/ Windsor road.

Before WW2, it had been a country hotel. It was eventually seen as an ideal location for the newly-created IX Engineer Command HQ, not least because of its closeness to IX Air Force HQ at Sunninghill Park, Ascot.

Moving in from Welford Park on February 12th 1944, many new buildings were added to meet the needs of a rapidly expanding force. After D-Day there came a progressive move to the Continent and the final HQ element to leave did so early in September 1944.

After the war, the whole site was demolished and replaced by housing. The name Bray Court is retained by one of the residential streets.

English Heritage's record description

Not yet known

Service

Revisions

Date Contributor Update
04 February 2015 17:14:18 Lucy May Changes to description
Sources

Changed Place type from Other to Military site: non-airfield.

Date Contributor Update
27 November 2014 23:51:11 MikeO Changes to history
Sources

www.ixengineer.com; Support and Strike! John F. Hamlin, 1991, GMS Enterprises, Peterborough, England.

Date Contributor Update
27 September 2014 18:02:16 AAM AAM ingest
Sources

Barry Anderson, Army Air Forces Stations (Alabama, 1985)

Share