Skip to main content
Edit entry 

Mullaghmore

Military site : airfield

Planned as an RAF bomber OTU and then for other purposes, Mullaghmore was built during 1941-42 with only two runways, but with 30 pan type hardstandings and four T2 hangars. 25 more 'Y’ type hardstandings were added in late 1943. The station was handed over to the Eighth Air Force Composite Command in December 1943, as the home of the 6th Replacement and Training Squadron (Bombardment), plus the HQ and HQ Squadron of the 6th Combat Crew Replacement Centre. They moved to RAF Cheddington in February 1944, after which the station was used primarily as an aircraft store until handed back to the RAF in May 1944. It went under Care & Maintenance in May 1945 and the site then quickly returned to private ownership. Although largely returned to agriculture, part of the airfield remains in use for microlight flying and another part is a stock car racing circuit. A few wartime buildings survive, mostly in derelict condition, but the Control Tower has been preserved and converted as a private home.

Detailed history

Not yet known

English Heritage's record description

Not yet known

Service

Units

Revisions

Date Contributor Update
27 September 2014 18:02:17 AAM AAM ingest
Sources

Barry Anderson, Army Air Forces Stations (Alabama, 1985) / Roger Freeman, Mighty Eighth War Manual (London, 2001)

David J. Smith, Action Stations 7: Military Airfields of Scotland, the North-east and Northern Ireland (Cambridge, 1989)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAF_Mullaghmore

http://www.controltowers.co.uk/m/mullaghmore.htm

Share