IWM catalogue record
This contains information written on the back of the original print and some of it may be inaccurate.
Staff Sergeant Gordon Thornton an engineer of the 94th Bomb Group, paints the tail of a B-17 Flying Fortresses. Printed caption on reverse: 'An Engineering Section Of A U.S. Service Squadron. Associated Press Photo Shows:- A sudden order to paint identifying numbers high on the tail and on one wing of each Fortress brought this brainchild to Staff Sgt. Gordon Thornton, of LaFayette, Georgia, when ladders proved unsuccessful on the job. The scaffold was rigged on a truck in a couple of hours and the paint crews went to work immediately to carry out the order. Sgt. Thornton climbs the ladder to where a pair of ground crewmen are laying out an identifying marker for painting. 13-12-43-J.' On reverse: US Army Press Censor and Associated Press [Stamps].
Activated 15 June 1942 at MacDill Field, Florida. Initial organization and training at Pendleton Field, Oregon on 29 June 1942. Primary flight training at Davis-Monthan Field in Arizona from 28 Aug. 42 to 31 Oct. 42; then at Biggs Field, El Paso, Texas...
B-17 Flying Fortress
Assigned 341BS/97BG 3/42; courier trip to N.Africa 18/12/42; transferred 327BS/92BG (UX-V) Bovingdon 27/8/43; 482BG Alconbury 27/8/43; 95BG Horham as tow target & hack; 94BG Rougham 10/11/43; Returned to the USA 4136 BU Tinker 22/5/44; Recl Comp 9/2/45.