Kircassock House

Military site

Home to the 496th Fighter Training Group and other support units.

Connections

See how this entry relates to other items in the archive by exploring the connections below.

Detailed History

On September 12th 1942 the 8th Air Force: HQ VIII Air Force Composite Command arrived in Northern Ireland. It is recorded as being temporarily stationed at Long Kesh before moving to Kircassock House near Lurgan, by 14th November 1942. Kircassock was designated AAF station 231, and an extensive base was built within the surrounding grounds of the house comprising of over 70 buildings.

Mention can also be found of the 496th Fighter Training Group being activated there in December 1943. It was however only a few personnel in an administration role, before they transferred to Goxhill on the 27th December. The Army postal station that was based there (NY639) is recorded as being operational by 16th September 1942. The NY is a short form of Nyack, which the base is sometimes referred to as. Units also based there included:

252nd Military Police Company (Aviation) May 1943-15 January 1944
1385th Military Police Company, (Aviation) 7 May 1943 15 January 1944

8th AFCC left Kircassock on 13th February 1944, and XV Corps US Army is recorded as using the house as their headquarters between 1st March 1944 and the 25th May 1944.

People

  • Military/Civilian/Mascot: Military
  • Nationality: American
  • Unit: 1253rd Military Police Company
  • Service Numbers: 35487587
  • Highest Rank: Private First Class
  • Role/Job: Military Policeman
  • Military/Civilian/Mascot: Military
  • Nationality: American
  • Unit: 403rd Air Depot Headquarters (403rd Air Depot)
  • Service Numbers: 32474205
  • Highest Rank: Private
  • Military/Civilian/Mascot: Military
  • Nationality: American
  • Unit: VIII Air Force Composite Command 35th Station Complement Squadron
  • Service Numbers: 12163914
  • Highest Rank: Private First Class