John E BreenMilitary
Assigned to 422BS, 305BG, 8AF USAAF. 15-May-43 20 mm shells from FW190 came through window, shot away plexiglass nose of B-17 42-29673 'Old Bill'. Later had mid air collision with RAF Beaufighter on training mission in B17 42-5376 'Eager Eagle' 31-Aug-43. One of only 2 survivors on the plane. 30-Jan-44 returned to US after being grounded by the Medical Board.
Awards: SS, WWII Victory, EAME.
See how this entry relates to other items in the archive by exploring the connections below.
Units served with
- Military/Civilian/Mascot: Military
- Nationality: American
- Unit: 305th Bomb Group 422nd Bomb Squadron
- Service Numbers: 31125603
- Highest Rank: Staff Sergeant
- Role/Job: Ball Turret Gunner
Key Image ID.