P-38J 42-28385 77th FS, 20FG, 8AF USAAF. Crash landed on return from the final mission on 6th June 44. Maj George S Wemyss mistook the 'lead in' lights for the runway lights and landed 150ft short of the runway. The aircraft hit an embankment and caught fire, Maj. Wemyss escaped with minor injuries.
See how this entry relates to other items in the archive by exploring the connections below.
- Military/Civilian/Mascot: Military
- Nationality: American
- Unit: 20th Fighter Group 77th Fighter Squadron
- Service Numbers: O-430873
- Highest Rank: Lieutenant Colonel
- Role/Job: Fighter Pilot 1056 twin engine OPS officer