Pictures from the family Wimmer. Bottom left is Josefa and Michael. Bottom right is the house as it was back in 1945. Edward Appel stayed in the area of Tagmersheim until the morning 26th of April, when he was picked up by our troops. The Allied forces came thru that area, arriving in Neuburg an der Donau in the afternoon. Amazingly, Edward was picked up by the same troops that recovered him in France, at the end of his first Escape and Evasion in November 1944. Needless to say, they were somewhat suspicious of him. He made his way back through Paris and then arrived in England. The war was over by then and he returned home in the fall of 1945.
See how this entry relates to other items in the archive by exploring the connections below.
- Military/Civilian/Mascot: Military
- Nationality: American
- Unit: 389th Bomb Group 445th Bomb Group 56th Fighter Group 62nd Fighter Squadron Headquarters (93rd Bomb Group)
- Service Numbers: 19018109 / O-745854
- Highest Rank: Lieutenant Colonel
- Role/Job: Co-Pilot, Bomber Pilot, Fighter Pilot