On April 16th, 2015 I started with my husband, Tim, the escape route of my father, Edward Appel, near Zangberg, Germany. He was flying a P46 Thunderbolt and strafing the Mühldorf Aerodrome when he was hit and crashed near there about 1600 hours on April 16, 1945. With the help of Herr Eimannsberger and Military Airplane Historian Erich Blaschke, the crash site was believed to be in this location. A piece of aluminum possibly from my fathers plane was found with a metal detector . (Juliann Pendolino)
See how this entry relates to other items in the archive by exploring the connections below.
- Military/Civilian/Mascot: Military
- Nationality: American
- Unit: 389th Bomb Group 445th Bomb Group 56th Fighter Group 62nd Fighter Squadron Headquarters (93rd Bomb Group)
- Service Numbers: 19018109 / O-745854
- Highest Rank: Lieutenant Colonel
- Role/Job: Co-Pilot, Bomber Pilot, Fighter Pilot