I starting researching my father's (Edward Appel) Evasion and Escape journey in January 2015 because I wanted to retrace his steps in April on the same days that he did, April 16 to April 26, 1945. I developed this map to show the places and cities I picked to walk to and state why they were significant. There are various excerpts from military documents and letters that I found in my fathers things attached to it.
See how this entry relates to other items in the archive by exploring the connections below.
- Military/Civilian/Mascot: Military
- Nationality: American
- Unit: 389th Bomb Group 445th Bomb Group 56th Fighter Group 62nd Fighter Squadron Headquarters (93rd Bomb Group)
- Service Numbers: 19018109 / O-745854
- Highest Rank: Lieutenant Colonel
- Role/Job: Co-Pilot, Bomber Pilot, Fighter Pilot