Skip to main content
Edit entry 

5th Airdrome Squadron


US Air Force Combat Units of World War II Description

See :

"The 5th Airdrome Squadron was initially based at the Combat Crew Replacement Center located at AAF 236, Toome. The training of replacement aircrew on the A-20 Havoc and B-26 Marauder took place at this station. When the Lockheed Overseas Corporation vacated Langford Lodge In May 1944, the 5th Airdrome Squadron, commanded by Moir L. Shockley, received orders that they were to vacate Toome, and relocate to AAF station 597, Langford Lodge. Moving on 3 May 1944, the squadron was given an Orderly Room and eight barracks at Gortnagallon, site 4. A small detachment of men and vehicles stayed behind at AAF 236. Gradually the squadron replaced LOC personnel and took over their duties, assigned to salvage aircraft, the 5th Airdrome Squadron was
in charge of all perimeter service and first and second echelon maintenance. This included handling of refueling units, dispersal of aircraft, and taxiing and towing of all aircraft on the base.
In August 1944, the squadron was maintaining approximately 500 aircraft daily, doing the job with only fifty men. The squadron had its own Softball team, winning the Northern Ireland championship. Around the first of November, the squadron received orders to leave the comforts of Langford Lodge, to take over the new Storage Station at AAF 237, Greencastle, located at Kilkeel. A large detachment of men remained at Langford Lodge, known as detachment "A", this detachment set up their own organization and orderly room located on the airfield at site 2, this detachment was commanded by Lt. R.F. Kenney.
At AAF 237, under the command of Major Shockley, the squadron was assigned to essentially run the base, with the aid of several small detachments. Setting up a Motor Pool, Mess, Communications, Signal, and Quartermaster. In January 1945, detachment "A" left Langford Lodge and arrived at AAF Station 237, bringing the squadron up to almost full strength.
The 5th Airdrome Squadron were assigned to store a large amount of aircraft in January 1945, maintaining over 350 aircraft in various storage stages with less than 250 men. In March 1945, a deadline was set for clearing the Station of all aircraft, this placed a tremendous strain on the squadron and working hours were increased.
In the Engineering section, with one Officer and ninety-five enlisted men, a commendable amount of work was performed on the various types of aircraft on the station: an average 281 aircraft were worked on each day, de-inhibiting 151 aircraft and delivering 127 aircraft, throughout the month. In May 1945, the squadron continued work in clearing all aircraft from the station. The deadline for clearing all aircraft was set at 15 May 1945. Working from 07:00hrs to 21:30hrs six nights a week, by the 15th four aircraft were left on the station due to poor flying conditions and VE-Day celebrations. On the morning of 21 May 1945, the 5th Airdrome Squadron departed Northern Ireland, destined for AAF Station 169, Stansted, England."


Part of
Not yet known
Previously was
Not yet known
Not yet known


Station Location Date
Based Burtonwood August 1945
Based Baverstock 9 October 1945
Based Langford Lodge
Based Stansted Mountfitchet
Based Greencastle



  • Charles Hildreth

    Military | Private Second Class (7th Grade) | crew chief | 388th Bomb Group
    PFC Hildreth served with the fifth Airdrome squadron, Knettishall England 1943 to 1945.

  • Ward Sayre

    Military | Maintenance Ground Crew




Date Contributor Update
28 January 2021 15:12:35 general ira snapsorter Changes to stations

Date Contributor Update
27 September 2014 18:42:50 AAM AAM ingest

Units in the UK from ETOUSA Station List, as transcribed by Lt. Col. Philip Grinton (US Army, Retired) and extracted by IWM; air division data from L.D. Underwood, based on the 8th Air Force Strength Report of 6th August 1944, as published in 'The 8th Air Force Yearbook' by Lt. Col. John H Woolnough (1980)