Skip to main content
Edit entry 

Zeals

Military site : airfield

Zeals was set up as a grass Advanced Landing Ground for the RAF in 1941-42, and allocated to the Eighth Air Force in 1942 but not used. Handed to the Ninth Air Force, it was briefly a Tactical Air Depot before being handed back to the RAF then Royal Navy. It was closed in 1946 and returned to original landowners.

Service

Units

  • 10th Air Depot Group

    10th Air Depot Group

    Group
    Constituted as 10th Air Depot Group, 30 Dec 1941 Activated, 5 Jan 1942, Redesignated 10th Air Depot, 1 Jun 1946 Inactivated, 17 Oct 1948.

  • 2058th Engineer Fire Fighting Platoon

    2058th Engineer Fire Fighting Platoon

    Platoon
    Four firefighters and the commanding officer were killed as a result of exploding aircraft on January 1, 1945.

Revisions

Date Contributor Update
27 September 2014 18:02:18 AAM AAM ingest
Sources

Barry Anderson, Army Air Forces Stations (Alabama, 1985) / Roger Freeman, Airfields of the Ninth Then and Now (London, 1994)

Roger Freeman, Mighty Eighth War Manual (London, 2001)

Chris Ashworth, Action Stations 5: Military Airfields of the South-West (Cambridge, 1982)

Share