Skip to main content
Edit entry 

Birch

Military site : airfield

Allocated to Eighth Air Force 1942 and built for Ninth Air Force use in 1943-1944, Birch was the temporary home of the 410th Bomb Group. It was an Eighth Air Force reserve airfield from 1944-1945, and used briefly by the RAF at the end of the war. It was closed and returned to agriculture and gravel pits in the 1940s and 50s.

Service

Revisions

Date Contributor Update
27 September 2014 18:02:16 AAM AAM ingest
Sources

Barry Anderson, Army Air Forces Stations (Alabama, 1985) / Roger Freeman, Airfields of the Ninth Then and Now (London, 1994)

Roger Freeman, Mighty Eighth War Manual (London, 2001)

Bruce Quarrie, Action Stations 10: Supplement and Index (Wellingborough, 1987)

Share