Oatlands Hill was located some 7 miles north of Salisbury. It was developed as a satellite for Army-Cooperation units of the RAF based around Salisbury Plain.
In late May 1944, a detachment of the 47th Liaison Squadron, USAAF arrived as lodgers. They had six L-5s for courier and communications duties supporting the HQ, Southern Base section. To speed up priority mail a P-47 was later added.
The Squadron departed late in July 1944
English Heritage's record description
Not yet known
Established in Liverpool in late 1942 to distribute supplies arriving by ship from the US to the UK. Previously distribution of incoming supplies was handled by the US Army's service of supply, until VIII Air Force service command pressed for the need...