The Sneyd family bought the Keele estate in 1542 and remained there until declining fortunes caused them to sell it to the University College of North Staffordshire in 1949.
It was requisitioned for use by military forces for the duration of the Second World War and used to accommodate troops evacuated from Dunkirk in 1940. Later in the war American servicemen were based there and built new accommodation blocks. Subsequently it became a transit camp for refugees.
Currently Keele Hall is the administrative centre for Keele University which is situated within the grounds.
|27 September 2014 18:02:17||AAM||AAM ingest|
Barry Anderson, Army Air Forces Stations (Alabama, 1985) / http://www.keele.ac.uk/alumni/keelesheritage/briefhistory/