Skip to main content
Edit entry 

Lichfield

Military site : non-airfield

The site of Litchfield Races was used to build a barracks which became operational in 1881. The 1702 grandstand still exists.

Whittington Barracks was used by US forces, and August 1942 was designated as the 10th US Army Replacement Depot. The site was also used as a military prison, where cruel and unusual punishments were inflicted on the US prisoners.

Old College House, 26/28 Dam Street, Litchfield is also linked as a Sub-area Headquarters for Air Service Command.

Detailed history

Not yet known

English Heritage's record description

Not yet known

Service

People

  • Barbara Corns

    Civilian
    Mrs B M Corns remembers the Americans who visited her family from Whittington barracks, near Lichfield: ...

  • Frank Sussex-Loasby

    Military | Sergeant (Technician Fourth Grade)
    Sussex-Loasby was British, he emigrated to the US in 1935. In 1943 he enlisted into the US Armed Forces in London, and was naturalized as a US citizen in May 1943. ...

Revisions

Date Contributor Update
28 May 2019 14:23:29 Emily Changes to name, known as, usaaf from date, construction date and description
Sources

Gieck, Lichfield The US Army on Trial.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whittington_Barracks

Date Contributor Update
27 September 2014 18:02:17 AAM AAM ingest
Sources

Barry Anderson, Army Air Forces Stations (Alabama, 1985) / http://www.airfieldinformationexchange.org/community/archive/index.php/t...

Share