Le Luc airport was built prior to World War II and was sized by Allied Forces during Operation Dragoon, the Invasion of Southern France in August 1944. After minimal repairs by the United States Army Air Forces Twelfth Air Force XII Engineer Command, it was turned over for operations use by XII Fighter Command on 22 August. It was not given an Advanced Landing Ground designation. Known units assigned to the airfield were:
27th Fighter Group, August 1944, A-36 Apache
324th Fighter Group, 25 August-2 September 1944, P-47 Thunderbolt
With the combat units moving quickly up into Eastern France, the airport was returned to French civil control on 13 September.
English Heritage's record description
Not yet known
The 27th went through two different incarnations during the Second World War. As the 27th Bombardment Group it fought in the Philippines and Java in 1941-42. It was then reformed in the US and sent to North Africa, where it eventually became the 27th...