Prior to D-Day aircraft imported from the USA (through Avonmouth docks) were assembled at Fliton Aerodrome. It was also one of the main D-Day causality stations, from where the wounded were evacuated to Frenchay Hospital, Bristol. 9th Service Command was based here.
Post-war, Filton's very long and wide runway (built to accommodate the Bristol Brabazon) enabled it to evolve into Bristol's airport. The last Concorde flight landed here, where the aircraft had been assembled. Filton closed to large aircraft in 2011 and became disused in 2012.
Filton is located in the northern outskirts of Bristol on the west side of the Gloucester Road.
Not yet known
Not yet known
Airspeed Oxford N4826, assigned to 10th Photographic Reconnaissance Group, 9AF USAAF.
On 27 July 1944, C-47 (serial number 42-93038) was transporting wounded infantrymen back to the US from France on a flight from Filton to Prestwick. The pilot was forced to fly low, because of cloud cover and struck a cliff, killing all 22 people on...
|27 July 2015 16:01:19||Lucy May||Changes to description|
Exact location provided by Mike Osborn (http://www.americanairmuseum.com/users/mikeo).
|27 September 2014 18:02:16||AAM||AAM ingest|
Barry Anderson, Army Air Forces Stations (Alabama, 1985) / http://www.airfieldinformationexchange.org/community/showthread.php?6823...