Built within the large grounds of the huge Dunham Massey Hall estate, close to good road and rail links, a camp of wooden and nissen huts was built as a staging post for troops prior to assignment and in the build-up to the Normandy Invasion; a hospital had been planned but it was only used for evacuation purposes. Once US troops had moved on in May 1944 the camp was re-designated to become a PoW facility. It is now partly hidden by a golf course and little trace remains of the temporary buildings.
|27 September 2014 18:02:16||AAM||AAM ingest|
Barry Anderson, Army Air Forces Stations (Alabama, 1985) / http://www.communigate.co.uk/chesh/altrincham/page6.phtml