The Hilary Evers crew under their aircraft "Bad Egg"
Hilary Evers on the jeep. Next person to him is Wilfred P Conlon
Shot down 21 February 1944 in B-17 42-3073 'Lightning Strikes'. As a prisoner of war he was held at Stalag Luft 1 for fifteen months.
Earlier, 31 December 1943 returned from mission to Bordeaux in B-17 AC 41-24484 'The Bad Egg'. Because of the severe damage to the plane, as it touched down on the runway, it ploughed into a jeep. 10 RTD. H. Evers crew
Post war Conlon studied law, was admitted to the Bar in 1949, and went on to become senior partner in the law firm of Conlon & Phillips. In 1989 he received the State Bar Association Service award and in 1990 was the Parade Marshal at the St. Patrick's Day parade. He
died on his 50th wedding anniversary 15th May 1996.
Military | Major | Pilot | 91st Bomb Group The Ragged Irregulars
42-43 and 44-45 served 2 tours.
31 December 1943 returned from mission to Bordeaux in B-17 A/C #41-24484 'The Bad Egg'. Because of the severe damage to the plane, as it touched down on the runway, it ploughed into the jeep. 10 RTD
Units served with
The 91st Bombardment Group (Heavy) was activated at Harding Field, Louisiana on 15-April-1942 and went to MacDill Field, Florida for the first phase of training from 16-May-1942 to 25-June-1942. The Group was then assigned to 2nd Air Force at Walla...
B-17 Flying Fortress
Assigned 401BS/91BG [LL-C] Bangor 31/8/42; Bassingbourn 1/10/42; on return from Cognac 43+m 31/12/43, diverted through weather to Gt Dunmow, Andrews Field, then Hunsdon Afd, with Hilary Evers, Co-pilot: Paul McDuffee, Navigator: Frank Keneley,...
B-17 Flying Fortress
Delivered Cheyenne 4/2/43; Assigned 410BS/94BG Bangor 13/4/43; delivered UK, transferred 401BS/91BG [LL-A] Bassingbourn 22/4/43; Missing in Action 23m Leipzig 21/2/44 with Bill Gibbons, Co-pilot: Clyde McCallum, Navigator: Don Shea, Bombardier: Wilf...
Military site : airfield
Now home to a museum all about the aifield and its USAAF residents (http://www.towermuseumbassingbourn.co.uk/) , Bassingbourn opened in 1938 as part of the RAF's pre-war expansion programme. The RAF continued to use it until late in 1942 when its long...
|Prisoner of War (POW)
||21 February 1944