IWM catalogue record
This contains information written on the back of the original print and some of it may be inaccurate.
Aerial photograph of Charmy Down airfield looking east, the control tower and airfield code are bottom left, 27 April 1942. Photograph taken by No. 1 Photographic Reconnaissance Unit, sortie number RAF/HLA/445. English Heritage (RAF Photography).
Military site : airfield
Charmy Down was built for the RAF in 1940, and used by the Ninth Air Force from 1943 - initially as a maintenance and servicing airfield, then as a base for operating A-20 Havoc night fighters of the 422nd, 423rd and 425th Night Fighter Squadrons 1944...