Skip to main content

This photo comes from my father, Lt. Billy J. Murray's WW2 scrapbook. In the picture from L to R are Unknown, Col. Ben Rimerman 353rd FG, Col. Dave Schilling 56th FG, unknown woman, and unknown.

The photo was taken in one of the booths in the 'Auger Inn' (Officer's Club) at Raydon on the occasion of Major General Earle E. Partridge's inspection visit to the 353rd Fighter Group on 9 February 1945.
Left to right facing the camera are: Col. Frederic C. Gray (C.O. of the 78th FG at Duxford until 29 January 1945 so given the date probably representing the 66th Fighter Wing), Col. Ben Rimerman (C.O. 353rd FG), Major General Earle E. Partidge (Commanding General 3rd Air Division), unknown servicewoman (likely General Partidge's assistant) and Brigadier General Norris B. Harbold (Chief of Staff, 3rd Air Division).

Dave Schilling is not facing the camera in the photo - if he was noted on this version of the photo, then the only possibility is the unidentified man with his back to the camera. Schilling commanded the 56th FG at nearby Boxted until 27 January 1945.



  • Frederic Gray

    Military | Brigadier General | Commanding Officer
    Frederic C. Gray was born in 1911 near Palestine, Texas. He attended Rising Star High School and graduated in 1931 from Abilene Christian College with a bachelor of arts degree. ...

  • Norris Harbold

    Military | Major | Chief of Staff
    DFC/ AM/ LOM

  • Earle Partridge

    Military | General | Commanding General
    Formerly command pilot. CG 3rd AD 21 June 1944 to May 1945. Retired 31 July 1959. DSCSSLMDFC w/ 2 Oak Leaf ClustersAM w/ 9 Oak Leaf Clusters

  • David Schilling

    Military | Colonel | Pilot; Commanding Officer; Assistant Director Intelligence
    Schilling flew P-47 Thunderbolts and was one of the leading aces of the war. He was Commanding Officer of the 56th Fighter Group between August 1944 and January 1945, taking over from Colonel Hubert A Zemke. ...


  • Raydon

    Military site : airfield
    Although never used as such, Raydon was built during 1942-43 as an Eighth Air Force bomber base, with three concrete runways, 50 loop and one pan hardstandings, and two dispersed T2 hangars. Initially on loan to the Ninth Air Force, it was first...


Date Contributor Update
10 March 2017 15:14:45 ------- Changes to caption, person associations and place associations

Another copy of this photograph in the 353rd FG Archives

Date Contributor Update
09 March 2017 18:54:41 dwgdallas Created entry with collection and caption

From the Personal Collection of Lt. Billy J. Murray