"Witchcraft" 100 mission celebration. Sgt. Raymond Betcher a member of the maintenance ground crew of B-24H-15 FO 42-52534 " Witchcraft" receives his certificate of Meritorious service signed by General Peck and presented by Major General William E. Kepner, Commanding General of the Second Air Division, on the occasion of completion by "Witchcraft" of 100 missions with no aborts through any form of mechanical problem. "Witchcraft" went on to complete a total of 130 missions without an abort becoming one of the most celebrated aircraft in 8th Airforce history.
IWM catalogue record
This contains information written on the back of the original print and some of it may be inaccurate.
An airman of the 467th Bomb Group is congratulated by a senior USAAF officer standing by a B-24 Liberator.
The 467th Bomb Group, or the "Rackheath Aggies" as they came to be known, flew B-24 Liberators on missions from April 1944. Its air crews became known for their accuracy and the Group had the best overall standing for accuracy within the Eighth Air...
Military | Sergeant | Ground Crew - Mechanic
Mechanic on 'Witchcraft' which flew 130 non abort missions over Europe duriing WWII. (A 16 scale model is suspended from ceiling in this museum.)
Named his engine "Doris + ?". (Ray's wife was pregnant at the time he named the engine!)
Military | Lieutenant General | Commanding General, 8th Air Force Fighter Command
From 1909 to 1913, Kepner served in the US Marine Corps. By 1916 he was a second lieutenant in the Indiana National Guard. After a short spell in the US cavalry, in 1917 he transferred to the infantry as a captain and commanded a company at the Battle...
The B-24 Liberator nicknamed Witchcraft (serial number 42-52534, Q2-M) was flown by the 790th Bomb Squadron, 467th Bomb Group, and is famous for completing the most missions of
Military site : airfield
First allocated to the Eighth Air Force as a bomber base in August 1942, Rackheath was then earmarked as a fighter base but, because of delay in construction, was never used as such. Built during 1943, the station had three concrete runways, 50 loop...