Skip to main content

Michael H Primus Crew



  • 490th Bomb Group

    490th Bomb Group

    The 490th Bomb Group, like the 486th and 487th Bomb Groups transitioned from flying B-24 Liberators to B-17 Flying Fortresses, which were used in combat missions from late August 1944. Based at Eye, Suffolk, the Group were focused in the early months...

  • 849th Bomb Squadron


  • John Barry

    Military | Staff Sergeant (3rd Grade) | Airplane Instrument Mechanic

  • Louis Deputy

    Military | First Lieutenant | Co-Pilot
    Member of Bullard Crew Member of Primus Crew

  • Ralph Franke

    Military | Staff Sergeant (3rd Grade) | Power Turret and Gunsight Mechanic
    Ralph Franke was a passenger on the last flight of the 43-37776. He was killed when it crashed on the 27th of September 1944.

  • Roy Griswould

    Military | Technical Sergeant (2nd Grade) | Flight Engineer
    Member of Primus crew

  • Richard Hermann

    Military | Second Lieutenant | Navigator
    Member of Primus crew

  • Claude Keele

    Military | Technical Sergeant (2nd Grade) | Radio Operator
    Member of Primus crew

  • Michael Primus

    Military | First Lieutenant | Pilot

  • Lawrence Richter

    Military | Staff Sergeant (Technician Third Grade) | Left Waist Gunner
    Member of Primus crew, Air Gunner

  • Edward Shively

    Military | Staff Sergeant (3rd Grade) | Airplane Electrical Mechanic
    Edward Shively was a passenger on the last flight of the 43-37776 when it crashed on 27 September 1944.

  • Robert Simmons

    Military | Second Lieutenant | Bombardier
    Member of McMullen crew Member of the Primus Crew

Show more


  • 43-37776 Heavenly Body

    B-17 Flying Fortress
    Delivered Cheyenne 20/5/44; Kearney 31/5/44; Grenier 7/6/44; Assigned 849BS/490BG Eye [W8- ] 11/6/44; on routine navigation night flight 27/9/44 with Mike Primus, Co-pilot: Louis Deputy, Navigator: Rich Herman, Bombardier: Bob Simmons, Flight engineer...


  • Eye

    Military site : airfield
    Eye air base was not a Class A base but was constructed to a less demanding standard by the 827th and 859th Battalions of U.S. Army Engineers in 1943 and was finished in early 1944. Unusually, a group of its hardstandings were on the other side of the...


Date Contributor Update
16 March 2015 14:22:01 usxpat Created entry with caption, unit associations, place associations and aircraft associations