IWM catalogue record
This contains information written on the back of the original print and some of it may be inaccurate.
A B-17 Flying Fortress, fitted with a chin turret, of the 486th Bomb Group. Image via Roland A Andrews. Handwritten caption on reverse: 'B-17 G 486th B Group, Station 173 Sudbury.'
The 486th Bomb Group flew both B-24s and B-17s, swapping from the former aircraft to the latter in late July 1944 after 49 missions. In total the Group flew 292 missions during the war and remarkably the 834th Bomb Squadron lost no aircraft or...