827th Bomb SquadronSquadron
Activated as the 41st Bombardment Squadron in January 1941 at Langley Field, Virginia, one of the original squadrons of the 13th Bombardment Group.
After the Attack on Pearl Harbor the squadron performed antisubmarine patrols off the Atlantic coast. The 41st was redesignated as the 5th Antisubmarine Squadron in late 1942.
After the Navy assumed full responsibility for the antisubmarine mission in August 1943, the squadron was transferred to Second Air Force, where it was redesignated the 827th Bombardment Squadron and formed the cadre for a Consolidated B-24 Liberator heavy bombardment group. After training, the squadron deployed to the Mediterranean Theater of Operations (MTO) in April 1944, where it became part of Fifteenth Air Force in Southern Italy.
Despite its Pathfinder designation, the squadron did not perform pathfinder missions. Instead it engaged in very long range strategic bombardment missions against enemy strategic targets in Italy, France, Germany, Austria, Czechoslovakia, Hungary, and the Balkans until April 1945. The 827th bombed aircraft factories, assembly plants, oil refineries, storage areas, marshaling yards, airdromes, and other objectives until the German Capitulation in May 1945.
The squadron became part of Air Transport Command in May 1945. It used B-24s as transports flying personnel from locations in France and Italy to Casablanca, French Morocco. It also engaged in transport operations from North Africa to Azores or Dakar in French West Africa where personnel eventually were transported to Florida. The squadron inactivated in French Morocco during July 1945.
See how this entry relates to other items in the archive by exploring the connections below.