Blandford Camp

Military site

Blandford Camp was first used for military purposes in the 18th Century, and served as a training ground for local volunteer units of the British Army. The site was used throughout the First World War as a Base Depot for the Royal Naval Division, and German prisoner of war camp.

In 1939 the camp was reactivated as a training centre for reservists, and anti-aircraft units of the Royal Artillery. The American 225th Anti-Aircraft Artillery Battalion arrived at the camp on 31 December 1943 and were based there until their mobilisation on 13 February 1944.

In April 1944, the US 22nd General Hospital was established at the camp, in advance of the invasion of Europe. They treated 20,000 patients wounded in Allied operations on the continent, before the hospital was formally closed in May 1945. The Roosevelt Garden and Memorial were dedicated there 30 May 1945.

Following the end of the Second World War, Blandford Camp was used to train National Servicemen, and briefly became a motor racing circuit. In the 1960s the camp began its long association with the Royal Signal Regiment, and is still in use by them today, as their headquarters and museum.



A History of Blandford Camp from the Royal Signals Museum website