Colonel Frank A. Armstrong of the 97th Bomb Group in the cockpit of his B-17 Flying Fortress. Image stamped on reverse: 'Photographed by US Army Air Air Forces.' [caption], 'US Official Phot No. USB 230. (WA) Distributed by the Ministry of Information.' [caption] 'USAA(BRI)CCC:TYPE.' [written annotation] Printed caption on reverse: 'LEADER OF THE US BOMBING ATTACK ON WILHELMSHAVEN. Photo shows:- Col. Frank A. Armstrong of Asheville N.C. who led the bombing attack on Wilhelmshaven- the first American air attack on Germany in this war.'
See how this entry relates to other items in the archive by exploring the connections below.
- Unit Hierarchy: Group
- Air Force: Eighth Air Force Twelfth Air Force Fifteenth Air Force
- Type Category: Bombardment
- Military/Civilian/Mascot: Military
- Nationality: American
- Unit: VIII Bomber Command 1st Bomb Division 306th Bomb Group The Reich Wreckers 97th Bomb Group
- Service Numbers: O-17459
- Highest Rank: Lieutenant General
- Role/Job: Commanding Officer; Pilot