We finished our walk on the 23rd of April in Tagmersheim, like dad did. He knocked on the window of the Wimmer family and Michael and Josefa invited him into this house and gave him him food and drink. Their daughters Anni and Josefine were also there. Anni spoke very good English and kept in contact with my father for about 5 years after the war. Her children Hubert Simon and Annabell Alexander, Hubert's daughter Svenja, and Annabell's husband Herbert, were there to walk with me the last part of my walk. The house shown above no longer belongs to the family, but the owner Josef Schneidhammer let me sit in the kitchen where dad had sat 70 years ago. (Juliann Pendolino, daughter)
See how this entry relates to other items in the archive by exploring the connections below.
- Military/Civilian/Mascot: Military
- Nationality: American
- Unit: 389th Bomb Group 445th Bomb Group 56th Fighter Group 62nd Fighter Squadron Headquarters (93rd Bomb Group)
- Service Numbers: 19018109 / O-745854
- Highest Rank: Lieutenant Colonel
- Role/Job: Co-Pilot, Bomber Pilot, Fighter Pilot