I continued on my father's (Edward Appel) path torward Ast, Tiefenbach. Dad had to cross two rivers, the river Isar probably on the night of 18th of April, and the river Danube probably on the night of the 22nd of April. The bridges were guarded, so he "borrowed" boats by cutting their chains and making his way across. These boats were tethered because of the strong currents. Doing this in enemy territory and during the night was quite dangerous. He traveled at night and rested during the day, when possible.(Juliann Pendolino, daughter)
See how this entry relates to other items in the archive by exploring the connections below.
- Military/Civilian/Mascot: Military
- Nationality: American
- Unit: 389th Bomb Group 445th Bomb Group 56th Fighter Group 62nd Fighter Squadron Headquarters (93rd Bomb Group)
- Service Numbers: 19018109 / O-745854
- Highest Rank: Lieutenant Colonel
- Role/Job: Co-Pilot, Bomber Pilot, Fighter Pilot