The United States Army Air Forces
Here you can find out more about the United States Army Air Forces - the people, their aircraft, the places they lived, how they were organised and the missions they flew. More pages will be added by our researchers soon, covering different aspects of the air war.
At its peak over 2 million men served in the USAAF. Click the links below to find out more.
- What was life like for the Americans in Britain?
- What ranks did people in the US Army Air Forces have, and what jobs did they do?
- What are the differences between medals, awards and citations?
The Americans brought with them thousands of aircraft, each one designed for a specific purpose.
The Americans were based at over a hundred different airfields in the UK. In addition, there were hundreds more sites with smaller units, in British villages, towns and cities.
Hundreds of thousands of USAAF personnel had to be organised and managed.
- How were the US Army Air Forces organized?
- What is the difference between the 8th and 9th Air Forces?
- What was the Strategic Bombing Offensive, and what was the USAAF trying to achieve?
- What were missions like?