Skip to main content
Edit entry 

1st Combat Crew Gunnery School

Unit

Established un VIII Bomber Command at Snettisham in Summer 1943 as a detachment of 2901st Combat Crew Replacement Centre Group.

Activated as the Air Division Gunnery School on 12 November 1943 and assigned to 1st Bomb Division.

Assigned to VIII Composite Command and redesignated 1st Combat Crew Gunnery School on 14 February 1944.

Assigned to VIII Fighter Command on 29 September 1944.

Assigned to 3rd Air Division on 28 November 1944.

Disbanded March 1945.

Structure

Part of
  • VIII Air Force Composite Command
  • VIII Bomber Command

    VIII Bomber Command

    Command
    VIII Bomber Command was constituted and activated in 1942. It oversaw heavy bombardment operations until February 1944, when it was redesginated as the 8th Air Force.

  • VIII Fighter Command

    VIII Fighter Command

    Command
    VIII Fighter Command was established as VIII Interceptor Command at Selfridge Field on 2 February 1942.

  • 1st Bomb Division

    1st Bomb Division

    Division
    The groups under the command of the 1st Bomb Wing came under the command of the 1st Bomb Division in August 1943. In December 1944, the Division was redesginated the 1st Air Division.

  • 3rd Air Division

    3rd Air Division

    Division
    In December 1944, the 3rd Bomb Division was redesginated the 3rd Air Division.

Encompassing
Not yet known
Previously was
Not yet known
Became
Not yet known

Stations

Station Location Date
Established Snettisham 1943

Citations

None

Revisions

Date Contributor Update
02 December 2019 16:15:41 Emily Changes to type, category, name, nicknames, description, unit encompassing associations and stations
Sources

Freeman, Mighty Eighth War Manual, pp121-124

Date Contributor Update
27 September 2014 18:43:00 AAM AAM ingest
Sources

Units in the UK from ETOUSA Station List, as transcribed by Lt. Col. Philip Grinton (US Army, Retired) and extracted by IWM; air division data from L.D. Underwood, based on the 8th Air Force Strength Report of 6th August 1944, as published in 'The 8th Air Force Yearbook' by Lt. Col. John H Woolnough (1980)

Share