Skip to main content
Edit entry 

318th Service Group

Group

Organized as the 318th Air Base Group and activated 28 Jan 1942 at Barksdale Field, Louisiana. Departed 06 Oct 1943 on the ship E. B. Alexander with 26 officers and 136 enlisted men. Arrived at Greenock, England 20 Oct 1943. Group supported the 434th Troop Carrier Group based at Aldermaston (Team "A") and the 436th Troop Carrier Group based at Membury (Team "B"). Departed for the Far Shore beginning 16 Feb 1945. Headquarters and Team "A" relocated to Air Strip A-80, Mourmelon-le-Grande, France. Team "B" relocated to Air Strip A-55, Melun, France. On 07 Apr 1945, the name was changed to 318th Air Service Group. The group was disbanded on 25 Apr 1945, with a majority of the personnel reassigned to either the 461st Air Service Group (based at A-80) or the 462nd Air Service Group (based at A-55).

Structure

Part of
Encompassing
  • 458th Service Squadron
  • 459th Service Squadron
  • Headquarters & Headquarters Squadron (318th Service Group)
  • 1068th Quartermaster Company

    1068th Quartermaster Company

    Company
    Details regarding the formation of the 1068th are incomplete. They were a part of the 318th Service Group while at USAAF Station 488. On 17 Jan 1944, detachment “A” was formed and made part of Service Team “B”. Men and equipment were transferred to...

  • 1075th Signal Company

    1075th Signal Company

    Company
    The 1075th was organized in the United States, leaving Army Air Base, Reno, Nevada on 01 Jun 1943. The unit had an authorized strength of 3 officers and 97 enlisted men. On 17 Jan 1944, detachments “A” and “B” were formed but no mention is made of the...

  • 1465th Ordnance Medium Maintenance Company

    1465th Ordnance Medium Maintenance Company

    Company
    The 1465th was activated 02 Jan 1944 at USAAF Station 488. The personnel strength was 12 enlisted men and one officer. By the time the company was moved via plane to USAAF Station 467, the number of enlisted men had increased to 38. It was part of...

  • 1466th Ordnance Medium Maintenance Company

    1466th Ordnance Medium Maintenance Company

    Company
    The 1466th was authorized on 02 Jan 1944, but not activated until 10 Jan 1944 when it was attached to the 1513th Quartermaster & Truck Battalion (Avn) (SP). It was relieved from attachment to the 1513th on 15 Jan 1944. It was part of Team "B" of the...

  • 2072nd Quartermaster Truck Company

    2072nd Quartermaster Truck Company

    Company
    Early history of the unit is incomplete. It was part of the 318th Service Group and was stationed at USAAF Station 488. On 17 January 1944 Detachment "A" is formed to be part of the 318th Service Group's Service Team "B" at USAAF Station 481. On 01...

Previously was
Not yet known
Became
Not yet known

Stations

Station Location Date
Based Fulbeck 21 October 1943 – 2 March 1944
Based Aldermaston 2 March 1944 – 14 March 1945

Connections

People

  • Richard Roper

    Military | Warrant Officer | Aircraft Engineering Officer 4823 | 318th Service Group
    The US Air Corps officer who switched off the lights and locked the gates of Aldermaston in 1945. Warrant Officer R A Roper trained in airplane mechanics and received specialised training in all mechanical and superstructure work of B-17 bomber...

Citations

Meritorious Service Unit Plaque awarded 05 Mar 1945

Revisions

Date Contributor Update
25 May 2015 20:58:34 Kayak2715 Changes to type and description
Sources

318th Service Group Unit Histories (Air Force Historical Research Agency Microfilm Reel #B0838, CD-R)

Date Contributor Update
14 March 2015 17:52:57 Kayak2715 Changes to type, citations, description and stations
Sources

31th Service Group Unit Histories (Air Force Historical Research Agency Microfilm Reel #B0838, CD-R)

Date Contributor Update
27 September 2014 18:42:45 AAM AAM ingest
Sources

Units in the UK from ETOUSA Station List, as transcribed by Lt. Col. Philip Grinton (US Army, Retired) and extracted by IWM; air division data from L.D. Underwood, based on the 8th Air Force Strength Report of 6th August 1944, as published in 'The 8th Air Force Yearbook' by Lt. Col. John H Woolnough (1980)

Share