Skip to main content
Edit entry 

Headquarters (493rd Bomb Group)

Headquarters

Structure

Part of
  • 493rd Bomb Group

    493rd Bomb Group

    Group
    The 493rd Bomb Group was the last Eighth Air Force Group to become operational, flying their first combat mission from Debach, Suffolk, on D-Day, 6 June 1944. The Group was known as "the Fighting 493rd", named by their Commanding Officer Colonel Elbert...

Encompassing
Not yet known
Previously was
Not yet known
Became
Not yet known

Stations

Station Location Date
Based Debach

Connections

People

  • Paul Doyle

    Military | Captain | 493rd Bomb Group
    BSM

  • John Guzik

    Military | Captain | Group Bombardier | 493rd Bomb Group
    Killed in Action (KIA) 5 November 1944 in AC #4338359 AM/ PH

  • Clyde Wilhite

    Military | Lieutenant | Bombardier | 389th Bomb Group
    Transfer from 389th BG to 493rd BG, Debach, 10th June 1944. Appointed Assistant Group Bombardier. Last listed Officer's Roster 31st July 1944.

Citations

None

Revisions

Date Contributor Update
06 February 2018 10:44:52 helen@faxbase.co.uk Changes to aircraft types
Sources

493rd BG Archives Debach

Date Contributor Update
27 September 2014 18:42:53 AAM AAM ingest
Sources

Drawn from the records of the National Museum of the Mighty Eighth Air Force, Savannah, Georgia / Units in the UK from ETOUSA Station List, as transcribed by Lt. Col. Philip Grinton (US Army, Retired) and extracted by IWM; air division data from L.D. Underwood, based on the 8th Air Force Strength Report of 6th August 1944, as published in 'The 8th Air Force Yearbook' by Lt. Col. John H Woolnough (1980)

Share