Terms & Conditions
Terms & Conditions
This Website (www.americanairmuseum.com) is owned by the Board of Trustees of the Imperial War Museums ("IWM") so when we refer to "we" or "our" in these terms and conditions, we mean IWM.
Accepting the Terms
Before reusing any content in any way, You must read the section on Intellectual Property Rights below.
What You can use our Website for
You can use our Website to: search records, connect entries, add facts to entries; add comments and other narrative to entries, upload content, download and print records, and to share records via social media, various Websites and other platforms (owned by IWM or third parties as appropriate),.
Registering and personal data
You have to register with our Website to use some features of the Website. You must be aged 18 years or over to register. You must keep Your personal information accurate and up to date, especially Your email address. Your registration details are always kept private and You choose what information You share publically on Your profile: read our Privacy Statement for more information on this.
Contributing content to the Website
The Website allows You to add to and create new “Content” (including, but not limited to: literary and artistic works such as text and images, facts, comments and images that are incorporated into entries, sound recordings, broadcasts, typographic arrangements, films, musical works, dramatic works, data, databases and source code) to the Website entries (the “Entry”) using information You find on this Website and elsewhere. You can add to any Entry using information You find on this Website and may also be able to add information from other third party Websites as well as other sources. You should always obtain consent from any living individuals if You wish to include personal information. You may publish names and dates of birth without consent where this information comes from a legally permitted, publicly available source.
If You do publish Content on the Website You must not:
- publish anything that violates the rights of any third party
- publish something that You do not own the rights in (including copyright) or do not have permission from the rights owner to publish. Once published on the Website, we cannot control how other people may use that content; therefore it is important that You have permission to publish from the rights holder.
- include anything offensive, inappropriate or defamatory (judged at our discretion)
- break the law, for example by saying something libellous, or by posting something which results in a criminal offence
- share the personal information of living people without their permission. You are responsible for managing content You create. You may publish names and dates of birth of living people where this data comes from a legally permitted, publicly available source.
- impersonate another person
- mine, collect or use any information from this Website with the intent to harm, discredit, harass or prejudice any other person
- disrupt the flow of information or other data to and from the Website or do anything which impacts the service or performance of the Website.
How we use content created by users
You keep the copyright in any Content that own that You create or publish on the Website (see the section on Intellectual Property Rights below). However, by publishing it You are giving IWM and its group companies (which means us and any subsidiary and/or parent company of ours that might exist in the future) a non-exclusive, perpetual, transferable, sub-licensable, royalty-free, worldwide licence to use (including editing, adapting or modifying the same) Your Content for any purpose and on all media now known or hereinafter invented. You acknowledge that we may not accredit You as having produced the Content. Here are some examples of how we will use Content You generate:
- to form part of the interactive archive that we build linking user Content to records and datasets we hold
- to add it to entries and make it available to other all Website users
- to make it available on other Websites owned or operated by IWM and those that it is in partnership with
- to allow other users to download, print and save copies of Your Content for their private and non-commercial use
- for promotional purposes, such as marketing and advertising
- to help us improve our product and service offerings, including undertaking background searches
- to make Your Content available to internet search engines
- for other services provided by IWM group companies or its partners
If we use any of Your personal information (for example, Your name) in connection with any Content that You create, we will seek Your advance permission.
Content You create is available on the internet. We are not liable for any loss You suffer if Content You create is abused by somebody else. Except for Your registration information, the Content that You make available on the Website can be viewed by other users of americanairmuseum.com, users of Websites that are either part of our group companies or with whom we have a partnership, and by internet search engines. If You don’t want this to happen, please do not publish any Content.
We love being able to offer a service whereby users can store their memories, photographs and other information. However please back-up and/or keep a copy of Your Content elsewhere. We shall not be liable for any loss of Content (including photographs) under any circumstances including, for example, should we ever have to close the Website.
Monitoring content created by users
We do not monitor Content published by our users and take no responsibility for things that You publish, so think before You post. If You see something on the site that You think is offensive, illegal or which is not in line with these Terms & Conditions, please contact us particularly if
- You are the owner of the copyright or related rights in any of the Content on this Website, or in a publication or broadcast to which IWM has provided Content from its collections,
- and You believe that the Content may be subject to a third party ownership or another legal claim,
- or You believe that use of this Content infringes Your intellectual property or any other rights.
We will withdraw the Content from our Website upon receipt of Your written objection and our initial verification of Your complaint, while the matter is investigated. Your objection will be acknowledged within seven working days of receipt.
In order to process Your enquiry, please use this web form to provide us with information. The information You provide on the form will be used only in connection with this enquiry.
For any other copyright queries, please contact us on firstname.lastname@example.org.
Accuracy of information
We cannot confirm or give warranties about the accuracy or completeness of the records or Content or information on the Website. We simply provide access to it. We are not responsible for content on other sites that we link to. We cannot promise anything in relation to the Content and services on the americanairmuseum.com Website, apart from what is set out in the Terms and Conditions.
Intellectual Property Rights
You are free to use Content on this Website under the terms of a Creative Commons Attribution Non Commercial Licences. This means that You can:
- share — copy and redistribute the Content in any medium or format
- adapt — remix, transform, and build upon the Content
Under the following terms:
- Attribution — You must give appropriate credit, provide a link to the source, and indicate if changes were made. You may do so in any reasonable manner, but not in any way that suggests that IWM endorses You or Your use.
- Non Commercial — You may not use the Content for commercial purposes.
You can read the full description of the CC-BY-NC licence here.
You agree that You do not own the account You use to access the Website, nor do You own any data IWM stores on IWM servers. Your intellectual property rights do not confer ownership of others' data stored by or on behalf of IWM.
IWM welcomes links to its Website from other Websites, providing the links do not imply endorsement of third party goods or services by IWM, imply affiliation with third parties where none exists, or otherwise mislead users. Links from our Website lead to other sites; IWM does not endorse or sponsor or otherwise approve of any information or images or further links to other sites that appear in those Websites.
You agree to obey all applicable laws and to not infringe any third party, privacy or intellectual property rights and only to submit accurate, truthful, non-defamatory and non-offensive content for the Website.
Changes to the Website or records
We reserve the right to make changes to the Website, including the entries and services we offer, without notice.
We aim to offer a Website which is fast, accurate and performs well. However, it may not always work as expected. If the Website does experience issues, we are not responsible for any losses You might suffer.
Sometimes things happen that disrupt Your service which we have no reasonable control over. Examples are fires, floods, strikes, earthquakes, landslides and other unanticipated events or natural disasters. We are not liable for any losses caused to You by such unanticipated events.
When we cancel Your account
We rarely stop people using the Website but reserve the right to cancel Your account in certain circumstances. Generally, we may exercise our right to cancel an account if You do anything that is not permitted under these Terms & Conditions.
These Terms and Conditions are made and governed under the laws of England and Wales. You agree to submit to the exclusive jurisdiction of the English and Welsh Courts to resolve any disputes arising from these Terms and Conditions.
Changes to these Terms and Conditions
Any changes we make to this agreement will be posted under these Terms and Conditions.