Cluntoe was built for the RAF in 1940-42, before being handed obver to the Eighth Air Force. It was used as a Combat Crew Replacement Centre for the training of crews, and was also home to the 311th Ferrying Squadron. It was closed after being handed back to the RAF, and re-opened in 1953. It was a Royal Navy reserve station from 1955-1957, before being sold and returned to agriculture and light industry. It is currently Ardboe Business Park.
Browse 18th Weather Squadron photographs and other documents in the 2nd Air Division Memorial Library digital archive here: www.2ndair.org.uk/digitalarchive/Dashboard/Index/60
Redesignated from No 12 Combat Crew Replacement Center on 15 November 1943. ...
Military | Technical Sergeant (2nd Grade) | Radio Operator | 466th Bomb Group
Transferred Air Transport Command
Military | Staff Sergeant (Technician Third Grade) | Tail Gunner | 466th Bomb Group
Transferred 466th BG.
Military | Technical Sergeant (2nd Grade) | Radio Operator | 453rd Bomb Group
Military | Staff Sergeant (3rd Grade) | Ball Turret Gunner | 466th Bomb Group
Military | Second Lieutenant | Navigator | 34th Bomb Group
Military | Staff Sergeant (3rd Grade) | Gunner | 34th Bomb Group
Military | Second Lieutenant | Bomber Co-Pilot/Fighter Pilot | 34th Bomb Group
February 1945-April 1945; former bomber pilot.
Military | Technical Sergeant (2nd Grade) | Flight Engineer | 453rd Bomb Group
Military | First Lieutenant | Co-Pilot | 453rd Bomb Group
Military | First Lieutenant | Bombardier | 34th Bomb Group
|27 September 2014 18:02:16||AAM||AAM ingest|
Barry Anderson, Army Air Forces Stations (Alabama, 1985) / Roger Freeman, Mighty Eighth War Manual (London, 2001)
David J. Smith, Action Stations 7: Military Airfields of Scotland, the North-east and Northern Ireland (Cambridge, 1989)