Skip to main content
Edit entry 

Bushey Hall

Military site : non-airfield

Requisitioned in 1942 and handed over to the Eighth Air Force later that year; USAAF used it as the Headquarters VIIIth Fighter Command due to its proximity to RAF Fighter Command headquarters at Bentley Priory. After the Berlin Airlift (1948-49) it was returned to the owners Spiers and Pond who soon sold it off. Now the site of a hotel and golf club.

The house and a small parcel of land was bought by the War Department and subsequently used by the US during the Cold War; the house itself was demolished to ground level in 1955.

Not to be confused with Bushy Park, Teddington, London.

Detailed history

Not yet known

English Heritage's record description

Not yet known

Service

Units

  • Headquarters (8th Air Force)

    Headquarters (8th Air Force)


    8th Air Force Headquarters opened in London under the command of General Carl A Spaatz on 19 June 1942. It oversaw all Commands, Wings and Groups engaged in the Strategic Bombing Campaign until February 1944, when it became US Strategic Air Forces in...

  • US Strategic Air Forces

    US Strategic Air Forces


    Eighth Air Force Headquarters became USSTAF in February 1944 and oversaw all Strategic Air Force activities in the European, African and Middle Eastern Theatre of Operations, particularly the operations of the Eighth and Fifteenth Air Forces.

  • XXII Tactical Air Command
  • VIII Fighter Command

    VIII Fighter Command

    Command
    VIII Fighter Command was established as VIII Interceptor Command at Selfridge Field on 2 February 1942.

  • 6th Fighter Wing
  • 350th Fighter Group

    350th Fighter Group

    Group
    The 350th Fighter Group was always intended to join the Twelfth Air Force in the North African campaign as a tactical fighter organisation, using P-39 Airacobras in ground attacks. The pilots flew practice missions from the UK before flying their...

  • 18th Weather Squadron

    18th Weather Squadron

    Squadron
    Browse 18th Weather Squadron photographs and other documents in the 2nd Air Division Memorial Library digital archive here: www.2ndair.org.uk/digitalarchive/Dashboard/Index/60

  • Headquarters (VIII Fighter Command)
  • 418th Signal Company
  • 887th Military Police Company

People

  • Luke Allen

    Military | Captain | Pilot
    From Ignacio, Colorado. Volunteering for the RAF just as the Battle of Britain was reaching its climax, Luke joined 71 (Eagle) Squadron RAF, flying his first combat operation in April 1941 on Hurricanes. ...

  • Gregory Daymond

    Military | Major | Squadron Commander
    Born in Great Falls, Montana, in November 1920, Gregory soon became known as Gus, from his middle name Augustus. He grew up in California, and upon graduating from high school he worked in the motion picture industry in various positions. He took...

  • Edwin Templeton

    Military | Chief Mail Clerk

Aircraft

  • BL660

    Spitfire
    Supermarine Spitfire BL660 Mk Va, Built at Castle Bromwich Aircraft Factory. Delivered to No 12 MU 16-5-42, assigned to 307S 1-10-42, ROS, assigned to HQ 8Ftr Command 21-10-42.

  • V9506

    Lysander
    Westland Lysander Mk IIIa V9506, assigned to 8th Air Force Headquarter Flight USAAF.

  • EP176

    Spitfire
    Supermarine Spitfire EP176 Mk Vb, Built at Castle Bromwich Aircraft Factory. ...

Revisions

Date Contributor Update
14 December 2016 11:39:52 SavvyGA Changes to description
Sources

Amended title of VIIIth Fighter Command (to include Roman numeral designation of USAAF command-level organisations).

Date Contributor Update
27 September 2014 18:02:16 AAM AAM ingest
Sources

Barry Anderson, Army Air Forces Stations (Alabama, 1985) / Office of History, Headquarters Third Air Force, United States Air Forces in Europe; Installations and USAAF Combat Units in the United Kingdom 1942-1945, Revised and Expanded Edition (February1967, Revised October 1980).
http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1416014&sort=4&search=all&cr... hall&rational=q&recordsperpage=10
http://www.fortiesexperience.co.uk/busheyhallhistory.html

Share