Skip to main content
Edit entry 

Witney

Military site : non-airfield

One of 16 country houses or 'flak homes' which catered for approximately 25 airmen at a time to come for Rest and Recuperation away from the stress of flying missions. Run by the American Red Cross, each serviceman was entitled to at least one rest period during their 25-30 mission tours.

This relatively modern house was designed by Sir Ernest George on behalf of the Mason family and built (1904-1908) on the site of an earlier hall dating back to the 1760s.

At the end of the war the house was a maternity home for a short while and in 1946 it became a District Police Training Academy. Currently a conference centre.

Detailed history

Not yet known

English Heritage's record description

Not yet known

Revisions

Date Contributor Update
17 March 2015 09:43:18 Emily Changes to media associations
Sources

Removed wrongly associated images

Date Contributor Update
27 September 2014 18:02:18 AAM AAM ingest
Sources

Barry Anderson, Army Air Forces Stations (Alabama, 1985) / Roger Freeman, The Mighty Eighth War Manual (London, 1991) p142
Malcolm A. Holland, Sweatin' out the mission: 8th Air Force Ground Support in World War Two (The history Press, Stroud, 2010).
D A Lande, ' from Somewhere in England (Airlife Publishing, UK, 1991).
http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1023803&sort=4&search=all&cr... Hall&rational=q&recordsperpage=10

Share