Sir John Soane was engaged by the Hicks Beaches in 1791 to make alterations to the house to the form in which we see it today. During the Second World War American officers were billeted there - accompanied by Lady Mary Watson the then occupier and her servants.
An Ordnance Ammunition Battalion was based there and would possibly have take advantage of the cover provided by extensive woods in the parkland.
|27 September 2014 18:02:18||AAM||AAM ingest|
Barry Anderson, Army Air Forces Stations (Alabama, 1985) / http://colnstaldwyns.com/history_williamstrip.html