Skip to main content
Edit entry 

Spanhoe

Military site : airfield

Originally known as Wakerley, Spanhoe was built in 1943 to a standard design: a 6,000 foot runway with two shorter runways, hardstandings and two T2 hangars. Accommodation and support facilities were located in the woods and farmland surrounding the site. The 315th Troop Carrier Group occupied the base in 1944, and on D-Day this unit carried troops of the 82nd Airborne into action. This unit also carried troops during Operation 'Market Garden’. In July 1945 No. 253 Maintenance Unit took over the airfield, preparing for the disposal of thousands of British military vehicles. Nearly 17,500 vehicles of various types were parked at the airfield in 1946, before many of these vehicles were sold at auction. The airfield was retunrd to agriculture, but in 1960 a Vickers Valiant bomber crashed at the site, shortly after take off from nearby RAF Wittering. A memorial on the road approaching Spanhoe commemorates the men of 315th Troop Carrier Group.

Detailed history

Not yet known

English Heritage's record description

Not yet known

Service

Units

People

  • Paul Melucas

    Military | Captain | Pilot | 315th Troop Carrier Group
    Paul was assigned to the Troop Carrier Command in May 1942 & received transition training at Camp William, Wisconsin. He flew overseas to England in September 1942 with the 62nd Troop Carrier Group. Participated in the invasion of North Africa,...

  • Glenn Smart

    Military | Second Lieutenant | Pilot | 27th Air Transport Group
    Joined RAFVR, assigned to 133S, transferred to 336FS, 4FG, 8AF USAAF, transferred to 310th Ferrying Squadron, transferred to 335FS, 4FG, 8AF. ...

Revisions

Date Contributor Update
27 September 2014 18:02:18 AAM AAM ingest
Sources

Barry Anderson, Army Air Forces Stations (Alabama, 1985) / Roger Freeman, Airfields of the Ninth Then and Now (London, 1994)

Share