Skip to main content
Edit entry 

Dover Army Air Base

Military site : airfield

The first airfield site was near East Boldre, used before the First World War. A Royal Flying Corps and RAF station during the First World War, it was sold and dismantled from 1920-1924, though the land was used as a private airfield from 1933 to 1938. The second airfield site was on Hatchet Moor, built in 1942 with hard runways for RAF use. Handed to the Ninth Air Force 1944, it was home to the 365th Fighter Group then the 323rd Bomb Group. Handed back to the RAF in 1944, in January 1945 it bacame home to the Airborne Forces Experimental Establishment until 1950. Listed as a United States Air Forces Europe standby base from 1953-1955, the airfield was abandoned in 1959. It has since become FC New Forest plantations and public campsite.

Service

Units

People

  • David Harmon

    Military | Major | Fighter pilot / Asst Group Operations Officer | 365th Fighter Group
    Assigned to 386 365BG, 9AF USAAF. Assistant group Operations Officer. On a dive bombing mission in support of V Corps, having seen heavy AA fire whilst bombing German tank positions. Set up a strafing pass on flak positions and was hit by a 20mm round...

  • Asal Igney

    Military | Staff Sergeant (Technician Third Grade) | Aircraft Crew Chief | 365th Fighter Group

  • Robert Robinson

    Military | Captain | Fighter Pilot | 365th Fighter Group

Aircraft

Revisions

Date Contributor Update
27 September 2014 18:02:16 AAM AAM ingest
Sources

Barry Anderson, Army Air Forces Stations (Alabama, 1985) / Roger Freeman, Airfields of the Ninth Then and Now (London, 1994)

Chris Ashworth, Action Stations 5: Military Airfields of the South-West (Cambridge, 1982)

Share