Aerial photograph of Portreath airfield looking south, the main runway runs horizontally, 12 July 1946. Photograph taken by No. 541 Squadron, sortie number RAF/106G/UK/1663. English Heritage (RAF Photography).
Aerial photograph of Portreath airfield looking south, the control tower is in front of the technical site on the upper left, 12 July 1946. Photograph taken by No. 541 Squadron, sortie number RAF/106G/UK/1663. English Heritage (RAF Photography).
Aerial photograph of Portreath airfield looking north, the barrack sites are below the airfield, 4 June 1942. Photograph taken by No. 1 Photographic Reconnaissance Unit, sortie number RAF/HLA/576. English Heritage (RAF Photography).
Aerial photograph of Portreath airfield looking north, the technical sites and barrack sites are at the bottom, 9 March 1944. Photograph taken by 7th Photographic Reconnaissance Group, sortie number US/7PH/GP/LOC213. English Heritage (USAAF Photography).
Built during 1940-41 as an RAF fighter station, Portreath was unusual in having straightaway four tarmac-surface hard runways, with double blast pens dispersed around the perimeter track. After wartime development, it eventually had four T2 and four blister hangars. Used by the RAF during 1941-45 as a fighter, ferry, maritime and ASR base, the station was allocated briefly to the Eighth Air Force as a potential fighter base during August-September 1942, but never had any resident groups or squadrons. However, many USAAF aircraft staged through Portreath en route to North Africa, or diverted to the station on return from operations over enemy-occupied Europe, so Detachment A of of the 519th Service Squadron, Eighth Air Force Service Command, was located there from October 1942 to administer American aircraft movements, working alongside the RAF Overseas Air Despatch Unit. Transient US aircraft types included B-17s, B-24s, C-47s, P-38s and P-39s. In May 1943, P-47s of the 78th Fighter Group, based at Duxford, used Portreath as a forward base to escort bombing raids against Brest and other French western ports. During 1944, USAAF use of the station was reduced to convenience and emergencies only, although it remained operational as a multi-role RAF station until the airfield closed in October 1945. The site was taken over by the Ministry of Supply in May 1950 for use as a sub-station of the Chemical Defence Establishment (CDE), named Nancekuke after the nearby village. The CDE moved out in 1978 and MoD took back the site for operation as a radar station. Re-opened as RAF Portreath in 1980, the station now operates as Remote Radar Head (RRH) Portreath.
Military | Second Lieutenant | Fighter pilot
On 26-Jan-43 in P-38F 41-7566 78FG/83FS 2nd Lt Donald S Beals was being transferred to Tafaroui, Algeria from Portreath, UK. He was flying with a flight of 9 others. The flight was to make a stop at Gibraltar but only 6 arrived. No traces of Lt Beals'...
Military | Captain | Pilot | 14th Fighter Group
Captain George Edward Richards was the only child of Mr. and Mrs. George C. Richards of Forest Hills, New York. In May 1942, he was one of the first pilots in the newly formed 83rd Pursuit Squadron of the 78th Pursuit Group flying the Lockheed P-38...
P-38F 41-7566 78FG/83FS was being transferred to Tafaroui, Algeria from Portreath, UK on 26-Jan-43 by 2Lt Donald S. Beals. He was flying with a flight of 8 others. The flight was to make a stop at Gibraltar but only 6 arrived. No traces of Lt. Beals'...