General Bradley, General Vandenberg and Admiral Denfield at Northolt airport. Image stamped on reverse: 'International News Photos., picture by E Wing.' [stamp] Printed caption on reverse: 'US CHEIF OF STAFF ARRIVE AT NORTHOLT 2.8.42. The US Join chiefs of Staff, General Bradley, Admiral Denfield and General Vandenberg, flew into Northolt Airport tonight for talks with British Defence Chiefs. Tey will be leaving again on Friday on their fact finding tour of Europe. INP Photo Shows: Left to Right: General Bradley, General Vandenburg and Admiral Denfield on their arrival at Northolt tonight.'
Lockheed P-38J Lightning 'Droop Snoot*' 44-23517 personal aircraft of Air Commodore Alfred C H Sharp RAF, pictured at No 51 MU Lichfield, Staffordshire between 1946-48.
* The 'Droop Snoot' field conversion entailed the removal of the nose armament and associated equipment to make room for a prone bombardiers/observers position with the installation of a plexiglass nose, a Norden bombsight, side windows and an emergency hatch. The theory was for a formation of P-38's to drop their bombs on the formation lead 'Droop snoots' signal with the precision of the Norden bombsight ensuring the accuracy of the formations bombing. An idea championed by Lt Col Cass Hough and Lt Col Dan Ostrander.
At one stage the base of the 302nd Air Transport Wing.
Not yet known
English Heritage's record description
A military airfield, used in both World Wars to the present day. It was one of the earliest military aerodromes to be built, opening in 1915, with some flight sheds and a twin hangar, nothing remains of this phase. Between 1925-30 an 'A' type hangar, barrack blocks and messes were built. By 1939 a 'C' type hipped hangar and five 'H' type barrack blocks were added. It was heavily committed during the Battle of Britain in 1940, when it was a Sector Airfield of the hard-pressed 11Group. During WW2 the buildings were all carefully camouflaged and painted to represent houses with gardens and as a result suffered little bomb damage. As the war progressed and more use was made of Northolt new construction continued and fourteen blister hangars were built around the aerodrome in 1943. The runways were also improved between 1943-1944. Polish squadrons occupied the site in 1940-4 and a Polish war memorial is located on the outskirts of the site, in addition to the Spitfire memorial inside the airfield. After the war the airfield became an airport for London but reverted to the Royal Air Force when Heathrow opened in 1954. Post-War development included new airfield buildings such as a new control tower and sergeants mess facilities.
Military | Air Vice-Marshal | Air Liaison Officer
RAF: - Plt Off (Probation): 16 Jul 1924, Plt Off: 16 Jan 1924, Fg Off: 18 Jan 1926, Flt Lt: 8 Oct 1930, Sqn Ldr: 1 Apr 1937, (Temp) Wg Cdr: 1 Mar 1940, (Temp) Gp Capt: 1 Mar 1942, Wg Cdr: 20 Nov 1942 [1 Oct 1941], Acting A/Cdre: 1 Feb 1943.
RAF Air Commodore Alfred C H Sharp, a former Deputy Chief of Staff HQ 8th AF, was gifted this P-38 Lightning as his personal aircraft when he left to take up a new posting as 54 base commander. Initialy flown soley by Sharp. A 'Droop Snoot*' was lent...