Country house built in the mid 1700s. Purchased by the American-born Washington Merritt Grant Singer (1866-1934), it passed to his adopted son Grant Allen Singer in 1934, who was later killed at El Alamein in 1942.
In the build-up to D-Day the house was used as a billet for US Officers who commanded troops stationed in the adjacent Bentley Wood.
The grounds and then finally the house were gradually sold. Purchased in 1952 by Northaw School (Clement Attlee had been a pupil) it then became North Court Preparatory School and is still a school.
|27 September 2014 18:02:17||AAM||AAM ingest|
Barry Anderson, Army Air Forces Stations (Alabama, 1985) / http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=223479&sort=4&search=all&cri... Court&rational=q&recordsperpage=10