Originally a grass airfield satellite to nearby RAF Coltishall, Matlask was allocated to the Eighth Air Force in 1942 as a potential fighter base, but it was used only by detachments from the 56th Fighter Group, equipped with P-47s, during 1943. Plans to expand the station for the USAAF in late 1943-early 1944 were not carried out, so the airfield never progressed beyond two grass runways, 21 concrete pad hardstandings, one T2 hangar and five blister hangars. Occupied by the RAF from 1940 to 1945, the station was also used briefly for pre-D-Day invasion training by the 3rd Aviation Engineer Battalion, Ninth Air Force, during March to April 1944. Vacated in 1945 and closed in 1946, the site quickly reverted to agriculture and all the wartime buildings have been demolished.
The 840th Engineer Battalion (Aviation) was activated on 1 September 1942, at Bradley Field, Connecticut, and assigned to the First Air Force. The unit was alerted for overseas service in April 1943, and set sail for England aboard Aquitania on 10 May...
Military | Lieutenant Colonel | Fighter Pilot 1055 single engine | 354th Fighter Group
Fighter pilot RCAF, AAF, USAF 56 Squadron Typhoon Mk Ib 150 missions 356th FS P-51B CA ANG F-86F
|27 September 2014 18:02:17||AAM||AAM ingest|
Barry Anderson, Army Air Forces Stations (Alabama, 1985) / Roger Freeman, Airfields of the Eighth Then And Now (London, 1978)
Roger Freeman, Mighty Eighth War Manual (2nd edn, London, 2001)
Michael Bowyer, Action Stations 1: Wartime Military Airfields of East Anglia 1939-1945 (Cambridge, 1979)