The airfield was established in 1939 as Ephrata Army Air Base. It was used initially as a support airfield for bombing and gunnery ranges in the area (Seven Mile Gunnery School). Transferred to Fourth Air Force in 1940 as a group training airfield for B-17 Flying Fortress heavy bombardment units (including the 401st Bombardment Group), with new aircraft being obtained from Boeing near Seattle. Later it was reassigned to Second Air Force when heavy bombardment group training was reassigned to that command. It was also used by Air Technical Service Command as an aircraft maintenance and supply depot. On 25 September 1945, Major General Willis H. Hale, Fourth Air Force, notified Ephrata Army Air Base that it was temporarily inactivated, and it was turned over to War Assets Administration (WAA) for disposal. It was transferred to Grant County and developed into a commercial airport in the late 1940s.
Parts of the 1989 Steven Spielberg film Always were filmed on the airport.
Not yet known
|11 March 2019 01:39:16||466thHistorian||Created entry with name, known as, latitude, longitude, usaaf from date, usaaf to date, construction date and history|