Dorr Field, Arcadia, Florida was used in the Second World War as one of John Paul Riddle’s training schools for RAF and American pilots with links to the larger bases at Carlstrom and 5 BFTS at Clewiston.
Initially opened as a flying school in 1917, Dorr Field was named after RFC trainee pilot Stephen Dorr who was killed in a training accident in Canada. Although the airfield closed at the end of the First World War, it was re-opened by Embry –Riddle in 1942 training 700 student pilots on P-17 Stearman aircraft.
After the war it was sold to the State of Florida and is currently used as DeSoto County Correctional Institution.
English Heritage's record description
Not yet known
The 'Arnold Scheme' (1941-43) and the British Flying Training Schools (1941-45), with the co-operation of Squadron Leader Mills DFC and President Roosevelt, enabled the setting up of flight training in the USA for RAF pilots to train alongside American...
Military | First Lieutenant | Navigator | 458th Bomb Group
Henry Arthur Vanderbeek