runway: 07/25 - 6000x120ft - PSP (CLOSED)
runway: 13/31 - 5000x120ft - PSP (CLOSED)
runway: 07/25 - 1250x80m/4101x..ft - grass
Lessay airfield (French: Aérodrome de Lessay or Aérodrome Charles Lindbergh, also known as Advanced Landing Ground A-20 'Lessay', ICAO LFOM) is an airfield southeast of Lessay on the Cotentin peninsula in Normandy, France.
According to French sources the airfield opened in December 1923. On 4 June 1927 the airfield was used by Charles Lindbergh as his final stop in Europe, before boarding a ship in Cherbourg for his return to the United States. It is not clear what happened at the airfield between 1928 and April 1944. In April 1944, elements of the Fs.Jg.-Regt. 6 (Fallschirm-Jäger-Regiment 6, or Para Regiment 6) were tasked with defending the airfield.
After it was captured from the Germans, the airfield was completely rebuilt by 830 Engineer Aviation Battalion between 1 and 25 August 1944. It was planned to reopen as a medium bomber base and became operational on 25 August. 323 Bombardment Group (Medium) flying B-26 Marauders were based at the airfield until 24 September. After the bombers left, the airfield closed on 28 September 1944. The grounds were then returned to the french authorities.
English Heritage's record description
Not yet known
The 323rd Bombardment Group operated with B-26 Marauders, American medium bombers. They were the first Eighth Air Force Group to fly a medium level bombing mission with this aircraft on 16 July 1943. After flying a total of 33 missions with the Eighth,...
Military | Bombardier B-26 Marauder | 323rd Bomb Group
See Brave Men, The Flying Wedge, by Ernie Pyle. See also, informaiton on William Collins.