Skip to main content
Edit entry 

Great Sampford

Military site : airfield

Opened in April 1942 as a grass airfield satellite to RAF Debden, Great Sampford had a single Sommerfeld Track runway and four blister hangars. Allocated to the Eighth Air Force in September 1942, it was returned to the RAF in February 1943, and eliminated as a potential USAAF main base in April 1943, being unsuitable to accommodate P-38s & P-47s. However, it was used briefly as an American satellite to Debden when the 4th Fighter Group was formed from its predecessor RAF Eagle Squadrons. The 336th Fighter Squadron, previously No. 133 Squadron and still equipped with Spitfire Vs, was detached to Great Sampford during September-October 1942. The station was thereafter used occasionally by 4th Fighter Group Spitfire Vs and P-47s until the airfield closed in March 1943. The RAF Regiment Battle School then occupied the station until it closed in August 1944, after which the site quickly returned to agriculture.

Service

Units

  • 4th Fighter Group

    4th Fighter Group

    Group
    Some of the pilots of the 4th Fighter Group had seen many hours of combat by the time they joined the 4th Fighter Group as they had volunteered with the Royal Canadian Air Force and the Royal Air Force. The three 'Eagle Squadrons' of RAF Fighter...

Aircraft

  • BR640

    Spitfire
    Supermarine Spitfire BR640 Mk IX, Built at Rolls Royce Hucknall. ...

  • BS279

    Spitfire
    Supermarine Spitfire BS279 Mk IX, Built at Rolls Royce Hucknall. ...

  • AA924

    Spitfire
    Supermarine Spitfire AA924 Mk Vb Const #2228, Built at High Post. ...

Revisions

Date Contributor Update
27 September 2014 18:02:16 AAM AAM ingest
Sources

Barry Anderson, Army Air Forces Stations (Alabama, 1985) / Roger Freeman, Airfields of the Eighth Then And Now (London, 1978)

Roger Freeman, Mighty Eighth War Manual (2nd edn, London, 2001)

Michael Bowyer, Action Stations 1: Wartime Military Airfields of East Anglia 1939-1945 (Cambridge, 1979)

Share