Skip to main content
Edit entry 

Ford

Military site : airfield

Originally a Royal Flying Corps station at the end of the First World War, the airfield was unused from 1920-1930, and a civil airfield from 1930-1936. Re-used as RAF Ford 1937-39, and operated by the Royal Navy 1939-40, it was allocated for Eighth Air Force tactical fighter units in 1943. It was used as an Eighth Air Force forward fighter base and emergency alternate landing base 1943-1944. In Royal Navy use in the post war period, it was partly demolished and reduced but otherwise developed as airfield and two industrial estates 1950s-60s. The site has partly been used as Ford Prison since 1960, with some use of the airfield in the 1970s.

Detailed history

Not yet known

English Heritage's record description

Not yet known

Service

Revisions

Date Contributor Update
27 September 2014 18:02:16 AAM AAM ingest
Sources

Barry Anderson, Army Air Forces Stations (Alabama, 1985) / Chris Ashworth, Action Stations 9: Military Airfields of the Central South and South-east (Cambridge, 1985)

Share