Skip to main content
Edit entry 

Fairford

Military site : airfield

Built for the Ninth Air Force, but not used by the USAAF in the Second World War. Became a United States Air Force Europe base in the Cold War.

Detailed history

According to "38 GROUP OPERATION ORDER NO: 526 for OPERATION "MARKET", copy 68"
this airfield has been used by the RAF to lift:
serial B1, 21 Ind. Para. Coy., by 38 Gp., 6 Stirlings, to LZ S, on september 17, 1944
serial B2, 21 Ind. Para. Coy., by 38 Gp., 6 Stirlings, to DZ X, on september 17, 1944
serial B18, HQ 1 A/B Div., by 38 Gp., 10 Stirlings with Horsa gliders and 1 A/L Lt. Regt., 14 Stirlings with Horsa gliders to LZ Z, on september 17, 1944
serial B21, 1 A/L Lt. Regt., by 38 Gp., 13 Stirlings withHorsa Gliders and Admin, by 38 Gp., 1 Stirling with Horsa glider to LZ Z on september 17, 1944
serial B31, HQ 1 A/B Div., by 38 Gp., 15 Stirlings with Horsa gliders and 1 Para. Bde., by 38 Gp., 5 Stirlings with Horsa gliders to LZ X on september 18, 1944
and later re-supply missions for operation Market-Garden.

English Heritage's record description

Not yet known

Revisions

Date Contributor Update
29 June 2018 08:26:04 pkrooijmans Changes to history
Sources

38 GROUP OPERATION ORDER NO: 526 for OPERATION "MARKET", copy 68

Date Contributor Update
27 September 2014 18:02:16 AAM AAM ingest
Sources

Barry Anderson, Army Air Forces Stations (Alabama, 1985) / Michael Bowyer, Action Stations 6: Military Airfields of the Cotswolds and the Central Midlands (Cambridge, 1983)

Share